Late Night Writers Workshop
The NBCUniversal Late Night Writers Workshop is a two-day program focused on exposing talented sketch and comedy writers to NBCUniversal's late night line-up and readying them for a staff writer position. We are looking for writers who are "almost there" but need that final bit of preparation and exposure to key industry players. We particularly encourage female writers and those of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Here’s Your Big Break
The two-day, NYC-based workshop will consist of improv classes as well as keynote speakers. The selected writers will create new sketch material and gain insight into the dynamics of a late night writers’ room as well as learn about NBCUniversal’s late night line-up. Participants are given the chance to interact with key writers and producers from across NBCUniversal’s late night shows as well as receive feedback on their material. Writing assignments on an NBCUniversal late night television show may be available after successful completion of the program but are not a guarantee.
**THE 2013 SUBMISSION PERIOD IS NOW CLOSED. PLEASE CHECK BACK IN 2014 FOR THE NEXT SUBMISSION WINDOW.**
1. Applicants must submit ALL of the following pieces in one properly formatted “sketch” packet:
- 1-2 pages of monologue jokes (a la Late Night with Jimmy Fallon) for one or several characters/host personalities. If you think it helps us, please indicate which host or character(s) (can be but does not have to be NBC specific).
- 1-2 pages of headline news/ topical jokes (a la Saturday Night Live’s “Weekend Update”).
- 2 sketches (no more than 5 pages EACH). These sketches should be character based and at least one should be a “correspondent” “desk bit” or “pre-taped” sketch (Examples: Jimmy Fallon’s “Thank-You Notes” or Jay Leno’s “Ross the Intern”). Just imagine the bits in Act 2 of any late night show. If you do a desk bit, please indicate which host (can be but does not have to be NBC specific).
This packet must be submitted as ONE PDF file.
2. Applicants must complete the Late Night Writers Workshop application. Link to be posted during 2014 application period.
3. Applicants must fill out a release form for their submitted packet. Upload form in online application.
4. Applicants must be able to provide their own housing and transportation in the New York City area for the duration of the program weekend. (NOTE: You do not need to be based in New York City to be considered.)
July 15, 2013 – August 16, 2013 (3pm PST deadline) - Submission Period
September 2013 - Finalists interviews / selection
October 4 and 5, 2013 – Workshop in New York City
All dates other than the submission period are subject to change.
Questions (NOT APPLICATIONS) should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
For FAQ, click here.