MSNBC HAS BEST QUARTER IN A YEAR - 1Q 2014 RATINGS
MSNBC Tops CNN in All Key Dayparts for 1Q 2014 MSNBC Has Best Primetime Delivery Since 1Q 2013, Best Sales Prime Since 4Q 2012 "Morning Joe" and Primetime Shows Beat CNN in 1Q 2014 "Hardball" up Double-Digits at 7 p.m.
NEW YORK - April 1, 2014 - MSNBC ended the first quarter of 2014 beating CNN in the key morning, weekday primetime, total day, sales day and M-Su primetime dayparts, according to data from Nielsen. *Please note that all data excludes the 2014 Sochi Olympics ratings.
For the quarter, MSNBC ranked #2 in weekday primetime (Monday - Friday 8-11 p.m.), topping CNN among A25-54 (233,000 vs. CNN's 176,000) and total viewers (805,000 vs. CNN's 527,000). This was MSNBC's best A25-54 delivery since 1Q13. MSNBC also beat CNN ranking #2 for the quarter in Monday - Sunday primetime in A25-54 (217,000 vs. CNN's 169,000) and total viewers (683,000 vs. CNN's 498,000). This was MSNBC's best A25-54 delivery since 1Q13.
In total day (Monday - Sunday 6a.m.-6a.m.), MSNBC was second among cable news nets in A25-54 (137,000 vs. CNN's 122,000) and total viewers (395,000 vs. 383,000).
MSNBC ranked #2 in the sales prime daypart (Monday- Sunday 7 p.m.-2 a.m.) among A25-54 (198,000 vs. CNN's 146,000) and total viewers (558,000 vs. CNN's 408,000), up 3% among A25-54 compared to 1Q 2013. This was MSNBC's best A25-54 delivery since 4Q 2012. MSNBC also ranked #1 among the younger demo of A18-34 for the 5th straight quarter.
In sales day (Monday - Sunday 6a.m.-2a.m.), MSNBC was #2 with A25-54 (141,000 vs. CNN's 129,000). This was MSNBC's best A25-54 delivery since 1Q 2013.
Below are additional program and daypart highlights from 1Q 2014:
· "Morning Joe" (6-9 a.m.) ranked #2 for the 3rdstraight quarter among A25-54 and total viewers for the 17thconsecutive quarter. "Morning Joe" beat CNN's "New Day" among A25-54 (124, 000 vs. CNN's 94,000) and total viewers (368,000 vs. CNN's 273,000). MSNBC's early morning programs also had a strong performance with "First Look" (5 a.m.) and "Way too Early" (5:30 a.m.) ranking #2 for the quarter and up double-digits from 1Q 2013.
· "The Ed Show" at 5 p.m. was #2 with A25-54 (147,000 vs. CNN's 132,000) and total viewers (560,000 vs. CNN's 508,000) for the quarter.
· "PoliticsNation" with Rev. Al Sharpton topped CNN in both A25-54 (176,000 vs. CNN's 139,000) and total viewers (633,000 vs. CNN's 426,000).
· "Hardball with Chris Matthews" at 7 p.m. had a strong quarter, topping CNN among A25-54 (223,000 vs. CNN's 149,000) and total viewers (884,000 vs. CNN's 436,000). MSNBC is up 16% among A25-54 and 19% among total viewers at 7 p.m. compared to 1Q2013.
· "All In" with Chris Hayes at 8 p.m. beat CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360" among both A25-54 (218,000 vs. CNN's 184,000) and total viewers (758,000 vs. CNN's 560,000) for the quarter. This is the 2ndconsecutive quarter "All In" has topped Cooper in all key demos and MSNBC's best A25-54 delivery at 8 p.m. since 4Q 2012. "All In" is up 6% among A25-54 compared to 1Q 2013.
· "The Rachel Maddow Show" at 9 p.m. ranked #2 beating "Piers Morgan Tonight" across the board including A25-54 (267,000 vs. CNN's 168,000) and total viewers (974,000 vs. CNN's 508,000) for the quarter. "Maddow" had the best quarterly delivery among A25-54 since 1Q 2013 and has ranked #2 for 18th consecutive quarters in both A25-54 and total viewers.
· "The Last Word" with Lawrence O'Donnell at 10 p.m. (Monday - Thursday) beat CNN among A25-54 (206,000 vs. CNN's 156,000) and total viewers (755,000 vs. CNN's 450,000) for the quarter.
· "Up w/Steve Kornacki" (8-10 a.m.) on Sundays ranked #1 among the younger demo A18-34.
· MSNBC ranked #1 among A25-54 in weekend sales prime (Sa/Su 7p- 2a) for the 16th consecutive quarter.
· MSNBC is the most diverse cable news network for the quarter. MSNBC ranked #1 among African-American total viewer audiences and A25-54 in all key dayparts.
· MSNBC ranked #1 among Hispanic viewers A25-54 in key dayparts for the quarter.
See All News