"NBC NIGHTLY NEWS" WIDENS LEAD OVER "ABC WORLD NEWS" FOR SECOND STRAIGHT WEEK
NBC BROADCAST POSTS GROWTH ACROSS THE BOARD WEEK-TO-WEEK AND YEAR-TO-YEAR NIGHTLY IS DRAWING BIGGEST AUDIENCE IN EIGHT YEARS, BEST TOTAL VIEWER ADVANTAGE OVER ABC IN FOUR YEARS
APRIL 1, 2014 - With recovery efforts underway following the massive mudslide in Washington state and high interest in the ongoing search for Malaysian Airlines flight 370, more Americans turned to "NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams" than any other newscast. According to Nielsen Media Research data for the week ending March 28, 2014, the NBC broadcast averaged over 9.6 million total viewers — topping ABC by over 1.15 million and CBS by over 2 million.
Week-to-week, Nightly posted growth in total viewers and all A18-49 and A25-54 demo ratings, while also increasing its total viewer gap over ABC for the second straight week. The NBC broadcast has topped ABC by over 1 million viewers for the second straight week, and in 17 of the past 21 weeks.
This marks Nightly's second straight week of growth in both total viewers and the key demo A25-54, as well as the best total viewer delivery in three weeks and best A25-54 delivery in five weeks (since second week of Sochi Olympics).
Compared to the same week last season, Nightly posted growth in both total viewers (+15%) and the key demo A25-54 (+14%), widening its leads over ABC World News by 107% and 34% respectively year-over-year.
Season-to-date, Nightly is averaging the largest total viewer growth year-to-year (+8%, or +686,000) while widening its lead over ABC by +53% versus the comparable period last year. Also season-to-date, Nightly is currently posting its biggest audience (9.498 million) since the 2005-06 season and its largest advantage over ABC World News (+1.185 million) since the 2009-10 season.
NOTE: CBS is based on a three-day average (Mon-Wed) due to NCAA basketball.
· Nightly delivered 9.611 million total viewers, +1,155,000 more than ABC World News' 8.456 million and +2,044,000 more than CBS Evening News' 7.567 million.
· Nightly averaged a 6.4/12 Household rating, ahead of ABC's 5.6/11 and CBS' 5.0/10.
· Nightly delivered a 2.0 A25-54 rating, +1 tenth ahead of ABC's 1.9 rating and +4 tenths more than CBS's 1.6 rating.
· Among A25-54 (000), Nightly averaged 2.371 million viewers, +87,000 ahead of World News' 2.284 million, and +432,000 ahead of Evening News' 1.939 million.
· Nightly has topped World News by over 1 million viewers for 2 consecutive weeks and 17 of the past 21 weeks.
· Nightly has won in total viewers for 237 consecutive weeks, and in 284 of the past 285 weeks.
· Nightly has won in viewers A25-54 for 278 of the past 279 weeks.
Patrick Burkey is the executive producer of “NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams.” For more news and information, go to www.nbcnightlynews.com, Facebook.com/NBCNightlyNews, or follow on Twitter @nbcnightlynews.
See All News