MSNBC Tops CNN in Key Dayparts for 2Q 2014
NEW YORK - July 1, 2014 - MSNBC wrapped up the second quarter of 2014 beating CNN to rank #2 in key dayparts including weekday primetime, M-Su primetime, and M-Su sales prime according to data from Nielsen.
For the quarter, MSNBC ranked #2 in weekday primetime (Monday - Friday 8-11 p.m.), topping CNN among A25-54 (153,000 vs. CNN's 150,000) and total viewers (647,000 vs. CNN's 462,000). This was CNN's lowest quarterly total viewer performance ever. Fox News Channel also hit significant lows in primetime with their lowest A25-54 performance since 2Q01.
MSNBC also beat CNN ranking #2 for the quarter in Monday - Sunday primetime in A25-54 (159,000 vs. CNN's 156,000) and total viewers (570,000 vs. CNN's 459,000). FNC had their lowest A25-54 quarterly performance since 2Q01.
MSNBC ranked #2 in the sales prime daypart (Monday- Sunday 7 p.m.-2 a.m.) among A25-54 (152,000 vs. CNN's 133,000) and total viewers (478,000 vs. CNN's 376,000), up 1% among total viewers compared to 2Q 2013 and the only cable news network to show daypart growth this quarter. FNC had their lowest quarterly A25-54 delivery since 2Q01.
Below are additional program and daypart highlights from 1Q 2014:
- "Morning Joe" (6-9 a.m.) ranked #2 for the 18THstraight quarter among total viewers (333,000 vs. CNN's 295,000) and topped CNN among A25-54 (94,000 vs. CNN's 90,000). On FNC, "Fox and Friends" had the lowest quarterly A25-54 delivery since 3Q01.
- "The Ed Show" at 5 p.m. was #2 with A25-54 (115,000 vs. CNN's 110,000) and total viewers (520,000 vs. CNN's 447,000) for the quarter. On FNC, "The Five" had the lowest A25-54 quarter delivery in the time period since 3Q08.
- "PoliticsNation" with Rev. Al Sharpton topped CNN in both A25-54 (128,000 vs. CNN's 117,000) and total viewers (531,000 vs. CNN's 377,000). On FNC, "Baier" had the network's lowest A25-54 quarter delivery in the time period since 2Q06.
- "Hardball with Chris Matthews" at 7 p.m. was the only cable news program to show growth in the hour, up 30% in total viewers compared to 2Q13. "Hardball" topped CNN among A25-54 (144,000 vs. CNN's 125,000) and total viewers (738,000 vs. CNN's 402,000). On FNC, "On the Record" had the lowest quarter A25-54 delivery in the hour since 2Q01.
- "All In" with Chris Hayes at 8 p.m. was the only cable news program to show growth in the hour with a 5% increase in total viewers compared to 2Q13. "All In" beat CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360" among total viewers (611,000 vs. CNN's 496,000) for the quarter. "The O'Reilly Factor" on FNC had the show's lowest A25-54 quarter delivery since 2Q01.
- "The Rachel Maddow Show" at 9 p.m. ranked #2 beating across the board including A25-54 (184,000 vs. CNN's 151,000) and total viewers (815,000 vs. CNN's 474,000) for the quarter. "Maddow" was up 5% over last year, the only cable news channel to post gains in the hour. "Maddow" has ranked #2 for 19 consecutive quarters in both A25-54 and total viewers.
- "The Last Word" with Lawrence O'Donnell at 10 p.m. (Monday - Thursday) beat CNN among A25-54 (145,000 vs. CNN's 142,000) and total viewers (600,000 vs. CNN's 419,000) for the quarter.
- MSNBC ranked #1 among A25-54 in weekend sales prime (Sa/Su 7p- 2a) for the 17th consecutive quarter.
- MSNBC is the most diverse cable news network for the quarter. MSNBC ranked #1 among African-American total viewer audiences and A25-54 in all key dayparts.
- MSNBC ranked #1 among Hispanic viewers A25-54 in key dayparts for the quarter.
See All News